Bonsai Journal 2021

2021-02-01

The buds of the young hawthorns and the chojubai in the greenhouse are expending.

2021-02-05

Started (a bit late) the stratification of 450 seeds of Acer buergerianum, 600 seeds of Acer Palmatum, 50 seeds of Chaenomeles speciosa, and 500 seeds of Zelkova serrata. They will stay a few months in the fridge at around 5C.

2021-02-16

The olive trees and the firethorn in the greenhouse are slowly starting to grow again.

2021-02-19

The buds of the young hawthorns and the chojubai in the greenhouse are opening.

2021-02-24

Repotted the Ulmus parfolia and one of the two Ligustrum sinensis that wintered in an unheated room inside the house.

2021-02-26

Received a 20 years old pre-bonsai of Acer buergerianum #1 from Bonsai Plaza that was originally imported from Korea.

Repotted Crataegus monogyna #1 and the first young Acer palmatum.

2021-03-03

Repotted Prunus avium #1

2021-03-04

Repotted Prunus avium #2, 4 Ginkgo biloba, and 5 Acer palmatum.

2021-03-06

Repotted the Olea europaea sylvestris #1 and the Pyracantha coccinea #1, then took 16 cuttings of the former and 6 of the latter after removing the branches that will not be used later.

2021-03-08

Received 2 liter of kanuma for the Rhododendron indicum chinzan #1 and 10 young Acer palmatum from Maillot Bonsai.

The seeds of Prunus spinosa in the fridge are starting to split in two.

2021-03-09

Moved the Carpinus betulus #1 back into the ground for a few years. Repotted the 10 young Acer palmatum.

2021-03-11

Repotted 2 Berberis buxifolia and 4 Prunus mahaleb.

The buds from the cuttings of Euonymus europaeus from last December are expending.

2021-03-13

Repotted 7 young Juniperus chinensis itoigawa, Rhododendron indicum chinzan #1, and Prunus spinosa #1.

2021-03-15

Received one bag of pumice (3-7 mm), one bag of pozzolan (3-5mm), and one bag of akadama (2-5mm).

Repotted Olea europaea #1 and its two 15 years old small cuttings.

2021-03-17

Repotted Malus domestica #1, Quercus robur #3, #4, and #7. Cut the lower part of the taper root of the first two trees and put them in a pot. I also detached 2 shoots from the first one and potted them.

The azalea is budding.

2021-03-19

Received a bunch of 1 year old trees to create an hedge in the garden: 10 Ligustrum japonicum, 10 Lonicera nitida, 10 Cotoneaster franchetii, 10 Callicarpa bodinieri (var. giraldii 'Profusion'), and 10 Corylus avellana. The latter two will not be used as bonsai but a few among the others will be planted in pond baskets.

Used 6 cinder blocks in the greenhouse to create a table for the largest bonsai.

The apple trees have red buds that are becoming apparent.

2021-03-20

Planted one Ligustrum japonicum in a pond basket.

2021-03-22

Separated two air layers from apple trees that had rooted last year but in both cases there were only a few roots from one side.

2021-03-23

Repotted two young oaks that still had long taper roots and cut those in half. I also repotted the bottom half to see what will happen.

2021-03-24

Separated the remaining air layers from apple trees but all of them had failed, although two of them had one small dried root. Nonetheless I potted 3 of them to see what happen.

I also repotted the last young oak with a long taper root, and cut it in half like the other ones.

2021-03-26

Repotted 2 young Lonicera nitida, and wired the trunk of one of the two.

2021-03-27

Collected two blackthorns from the garden that I prepared last year by chopping their trunks. One of them almost had no small roots, only big tubes connected to the neighboor trees.

2021-03-29

The temperature moved from around 12 to around 24C for the week so I moved most temperate trees out of the greenhouse to a shaded area of the garden.

2021-03-31

Repotted one young Ligustrum japonicum and one Cotoneaster franchetii.

I put some organic fertilizer (Magic Vegan NPK 6-4-6 + 2 M3gO + 9 SO3) for the first time on most trees.

I found aphids on the chojubai that I treaded with dish soap. The two small olive trees that I repotted with big root cuts are loosing their leaves.

2021-04-02

Repotted the second Ligustrum sinensis.

I noticed that a mouse had eaten all the blackthorn seeds that I put in the greenhouse so I started another batch. For that I cut a few seedling trays to 6x11 holes that fit in small greenhouse boxes and filled the holes with perlite. I planted 66 blackthorns and 66 hawthorns. I also noticed that my other seeds where germinating in the fridge except for the elms so I did one box for each. I put the left over blackthorn seeds in 12 small and 2 big pots, and the hawthorn seeds in one small pot.

Some mice are also continuously eating all the buds of Crataegus monogyna #1, at first I though it was a reaction to the repotting but it's now obvious that it's being eaten. Like the flower buds of the chojubai. I moved the hawthorn to an elevated position in the greenhouse.

The wind displaced a panel of glass in the greenhouse and detached one of the aluminium support that I put back.