Bonsai Journal 2020
The Olea europaea #1 is still growing and back budding. And the Ficus retusa #1 keep loosing young leaves but the very new ones look a bit better.
Received two 15 years old pre-bonsai from Mistral Bonsai, an Olea sylvestris and a Pyracantha coccinea, both with big trunks and lots of shoots to choose branches from next year. It's good to have a few more advanced material to work on while the rest is growing. I really like them!
Noticed new shoots on the main trunk of the apple tree mentioned a week ago, this is very good news, I though this trunk was dead but it's not.
Also noticed new leaves on the hawthorn cuttings that I took a month ago. They had all dried out after a few days but they may in fact survive.
The box cuttings from last year are doing good and the yew cuttings from two months ago are still green.
Removed the wires on Olea europaea #1 because they were starting to bite into the branches that have grown quite a bit during the summer and replaced them by guy-wires. I also wired two new branches.
Watered the trees with a batch of diluted nettle manure.
Wired and bent the trunk of three of the new Juniperus chinensis itoigawa cuttings and it went very well, much better than with the older ones.
Sprayed again potassium bicarbonate on the oak trees that showed new signs of powdery mildew on their more recent leaves. Also sprayed the hornbeam, and the ficus that has small black dot on most leaves.
Put organic fertilizer on every tree.
Received 8 cuttings of Juniperus chinensis itoigawa that are between 2 and 3 years old, and 4 seedlings of Ginkgo biloba that are 2 years old.
The Ficus retusa #1 is still loosing leaves, including new ones, but at the same time it also keep making new leaves. I moved it a week ago below a taller tree to get partial shade at noon. Not sure if it's just slowly dying as a consequence of having been forgotten outside in winter in the past or if it's something more recent. I'll move it again where it'll get a bit more shade.
The first young apple tree I dig up last spring, because a hare ate its trunk, is making two new shoots from its base. The first shoot that appeared in spring is now big and tall. Unfortunately nothing grew on the half eaten trunk.
Some young oak trees where on the ground for the past 2 weeks due to the wind and when I picked them up I noticed big roots shooting out of the pots. The root must be growing hard.
Sprayed again potassium bicarbonate on the oak trees that showed new signs of powdery mildew on their more recent leaves. Also sprayed the hornbeam and the mapple trees.
Some green is starting to appear on some buds of Prunus spinosa #1, a new flush is in preparation.
The old leaves of Ficus retusa #1 are turning black, it seems they are all burned from the sun. Not sure if it's due to watering too late in the morning or the quick succession of rain and sun around noon in the past week, or simply that those leaves formed in winter and one months of full sun slowly burned them and it's only now that it's quite visible.
Put organic fertilizer on every tree.
Received 3 young unstyled Juniperus chinensis itoigawa and styled one of them to see how it will react.
The leaves of the 6 young Acer palmatum received last month quickly burned in the partial sun until I put them in a completely shaded location, but most of them are now going back from a dark red color to a more healthy green color, at least those that are not too burned. Another good news is that some of them are producing new leaves.
Collected cuttings from 2 hawthorns in the garden.
The Ficus retusa #1 is finally showing signs of creating new leaves after being repoted 3 weeks ago. It was very weak, that's probably why the cuttings are not working. Hopefully it'll get better with the new substrate and room to grow roots along with plenty of watering and feeding.
The leaves of the 4 Ficus retusa cuttings seems to all be dying at the same time, even with the 2 where the pot was constantly immersed in water. I put 3 of them inside a plastic bag.
Tightened the plastic bags around the air layering of the apple trees, only one of them has taken root so far. Most probably dried up too much.
Received potassium bicarbonate and sprayed the oak trees that had severe powdery mildew infestation, along with the maple and the hornbeam trees as a preventive. Used 1L of water, 5g of potassium bicarbonate, 5g of olive oil, and 1 drop of liquid soap.
The Prunus spinosa #2, that made almost no leaves after being taken from the ground because it has almost no roots, is now making a lot of new leaves 4 months later.
Cut the top branch of Olea europa #1 and wired other branches to move them closer to the horizontal plan.
The top branch was transformed into two cuttings.
Cleaned by hand the leaves of the oak trees that were infested with powdery mildew with water, sodium bicarbonate, olive oil, and soap.
Received organic fertilizer and put it on every trees.
Repotted Ficus retusa #1 and cut the top branches that provided three cuttings.
Received 6 Acer palmatum, 4 Prunus mahaleb, 2 Berberis buxifolia, and 1 Crataegus monogyna.
Transfered 2 Buxus sempervirens that had rooted and 2 that had not but were still green into pots.
Air layering of apple trees.
Put the previously mentioned trees in the ground over tiles.
Received 3 Prunus mahaleb, 3 Acer buergerianum, 3 Zelkova serrata, and 3 Wisteria sinensis.
Collected 1 Crataegus monogyna next to the road.
Collected 1 Quercus robur next to the house.
Collected 1 Quercus robur next to the house and 1 Prunus avium next to the road.
Collected 2 Quercus robur next to the house.
Collected 1 Prunus spinosa and 1 Malus domestica in the orchard, 1 Quercus robur next to the house, and 1 Salix caprea laying on the road after a tractor moved it.
Collected 1 Prunus spinosa in the orchard.
Collected 3 Quercus robur next to the house.