Carpinus betulus #1

2005-01 Acquisition


In the beginning of 2005, I acquired this young European hornbeam in a nursery.

A few weeks later, the trunk was cut after the third branch, while the second one was reduced, and the first branch was removed. In retrospect this was a mistake, the trunk should have been cut between the first and the second branch, and the first branch would have provided a natural continuity of the trunk with good tapering.

2005-03 Transplantation into the ground


In spring the tree was then transplanted into the ground over a tile with some pozzolan added to the soil.

2006-05 Second year in the ground


The third branch got really big after a year of growth but it started horizontally and gave the trunk a bad shape so the trunk was reduced again at the level of the second branch.

2010-02 Transplantation into a container


Unfortunately I can’t find pictures of the previous years but the tree was left to grow freely with just one cut at about twice the height of the previous cut.

In that time the diameter of the trunk had arrived at what I wanted so I transplanted it into a container.

In retrospect I can identify two mistakes here: first the second cut should have been worked on to look natural, 10 years later it’s still basically the same. And then it’d have been better to select a branch from the top to provide the continuity of the trunk instead of this one at the bottom. But I think there were no other available candidates at that time.

2011-10 Getting left behind


In the previous years I was studying at a university just a couple of hours away from the garden of my parents where my trees were growing but I moved to the capital of the country for work in 2011 and moved again to the other side of the world a few years later.

2017-03 Managing to stay alive


During that time this tree got a bit forgotten in the garden, with an occasional hedge cut when it got noticed for getting too big. It was receiving some water but no feeding.

2020-07 Moving to a new location


After a couple of year I came back to this side of the world, then after another few years my life stabilized enough to move the trees that managed to stay alive during that period into my own garden.

This one managed pretty well, especially this year after an emergency transplantation into a new container. It will now receive regular feeding and lots of water and we’ll see how it’ll react to its new environment.